When you’re trying your hand at saltwater fishing you must need the best baitcasting reels for saltwater. If you use a reel with ordinary features, you won’t get enough out of it. Besides, reels made with ordinary material won’t last long because saltwater is too much corrosive. In This Case You Must Need A Saltwater Approved Baitcasting Reel.
Now, the question is, what is the best baitcasting reel for saltwater? Well, according to our ranking, the best saltwater baitcasting reels are these –
9 Best Baitcasting Reels For Saltwater
- SHIMANO TRANX, LowProfile Baitcasting Fishing Reel
- Daiwa Coastal TWS T-Wing Reel
- SHIMANO Calcutta, Baitcasting Fishing Reel
- SHIMANO Curado K Baitcast Reel
- Abu Garcia REVO Inshore Low Profile
- 13 FISHING Concept Z Low Profile Bait Casting Reel
- Piscifun Alijos Size 300 Baitcasting Reel
- Abu Garcia Ambassadeur SX Baitcast Fishing Reel
- KastKing Rover Round Baitcasting Reel
These reels are tested and they’re good enough. Our experts researched their features, gear ratio, drag force, bearings, building material, side plate, rotor and saltwater resistance.
If you’re willing to buy a saltwater baitcasting reel, you can grab one of these. Hopefully, you’ll get your job done easily. Let’s check out the reviews of these reels with pros and cons.
Here we show you the best baitcasting reels for saltwater. Which Have great casting ability and saltwater resistance.
But if you need low casting ability but very strong baitcasting reels then you have to check this reel- 11 Best Tuna Fishing Reels
9 Best Baitcasting Reel For Saltwater Review with Pros & Cons!
01. SHIMANO TRANX, LowProfile Baitcasting Fishing Reel
The Shimano Tranx is one of the best saltwater low profile baitcasting reels. People like this one for its high durability, simplicity pro level outlook, and the maximum power it can provide. Let’s take a look at the features.
The Shimano Tranx comes up with a Revolutionary design. The interesting fact is it can provide you with the comfort of a low profile reel in spite of having the capacity of a conventional reel.
With the powerful x- ship and heg technologies combine, the Shimano baitcaster is quite capable of providing the great cranking power and smooth retrieve. This one of the mighty brand Shimano is highly durable as it is constructed of metal frames which keep the alignment good. Besides, for durable and beautiful finishes, it has plating and painting techniques.
This Shimano reel is offered in power gear and high gear models to cover a wide range of castings.
- Revolutionary design and shape
- X-ship technology
- Massive cranking power
- Smooth retrieve
- Highly durable
- Metal body and frame
- Diverse gear offering
- The weight is a bit high
02. Daiwa Coastal TWS T-Wing Reel
This one is made by the famous brand Daiwa. The mighty brand Daiwa is not limited in the fishing sector only. They have a lot of products in random sectors. The journey of Daiwa began almost 36 years ago and till now, they are among the best ones. However, this saltwater baitcaster is in the second position of our ranking. Because of having some cool features and advantages like the previous one, this one is considered as one of the best baitcasting reels for saltwater.
This fishing reel comes up with an aircraft grade aluminum spool. With which, your fishing is much reliable and precise. Besides, it contains 8 stainless steel ball bearings to provide you with a smooth casting. All of the bearings are corrosion resistant. So, you don’t have to worry about rust.
The Daiwa Coastal T-wing reel has high strength gearing material for powerful casting and catching the big buddies.
- 8 stainless steel bearing
- Anti-rust feature
- Aluminum Spool
- Highly durable and lightweight
- High-quality gearing material
- Only right-handed available
03. SHIMANO Calcutta, Baitcasting Fishing Reel
Here’s another Shimano product. The Shimano Calcutta Baitcasting reel contains lots of features and facilities. That’s why it is considered as one of the best baitcasting reels for saltwater. However, we ranked this one as the 3rd of our list.
This one is built with ultralight aluminum. The body construction and side plate are strong enough to provide much strength while you’re casting. The maximum drag of this baitcaster is 17.5 lbs. and it comes up with a 5.0:1 gear ratio.
This one is extremely lightweight and weighs only 12 Oz. For smooth operation, it has 3 ball bearings and one anti-reverse bearing. If your fishing source is saltwater, this one of classic look can be an ideal choice.
- 3+1 ball bearings
- Quick anti-reverse system
- Ultralight aluminum frame
- High durability and versatility
- 5.0:1 gear ratio
- Has some shipping restriction
04. SHIMANO Curado K Baitcast Reel
If you want a lightweight baitcasting reel that comes with every feature you need, the SHIMANO Curado K Baitcast Reel can be the best choice for you. This one is extremely light in weight but it has the best quality building material in it. It comes up with a great gear ratio and drag force that can blow your mind easily. Thanks to the brand Shimano. Here are its features.
It comes up with Shimano’s latest feature Micromodule gearing. This system is super smooth, durable and efficient. This one is made for durability and reliability and that’s why wise anglers prefer the Curado all over traditional reels.
It comes up with an SVS Infinity braking system to give you control all over the reel. It gives the consistent spool speed and precise cast. Besides, casting heavy or big lures is easy with this reel. This one also has X ship technology of the brand Shimano. This technology makes your reel durable and long-lasting. It also makes the retrieve powerful.
This reel is good for both saltwater and freshwater. The maximum drag force of this reel is 11 lbs. IT comes up with a gear ratio of 7.4: 1. This gear ratio is pretty perfect for saltwater baitcasting. By the by, it weighs only 7.6 oz.
The bearing system of this reel is great. It features 6 ball bearings and one roller bearing. All these bearings are made with high-quality stainless steel and they are corrosion resistant bearing. This reel comes up with a right hand retrieve set up.
- Tournament fishing reel
- The micro module gearing system
- High-quality building material
- SVS infinity braking system
- X ship technology for durability
- 6+ 1 bearing system
- Lightweight and 11 lbs max drag
- 7.4: 1 gear ratio reel
- The price is a bit high
05. Abu Garcia REVO Inshore Low Profile
The mighty Abu Garcia is a reliable brand and this Inshore Low profile reel is one of the best baitcasting reels made by them. From building material to gear, bearing, design, all are top quality. In a short budget, this one can fulfill all your needs.
The Abu Garcia low profile baitcasting reel comes up in the market with a great bearing system. It contains 6+ 1 bearings. 6 HPCR stainless steel bearings with one roller bearing. These bearings are made with high-quality stainless steel and they have corrosion-resistant features. With these, your fishing actions are too much smooth and silent.
This one also features Duragear brass gear. This gear system gives the reel an extended life. It comes up with a great drag force. The high-quality building material makes this reel tough. Besides, this one is extremely light. The gear ratio is pretty good too! If you’re looking for the best baitcasting reel for saltwater, this can be your choice as it is a budget-friendly reel.
- Stainless steel bearings
- Duragear brass gear
- 6+ 1 bearing system
- High-quality building material
- D2 gear design
- A bit heavy reel
06. 13 FISHING Concept Z Low Profile Bait Casting Reel
Here comes another top-level baitcaster from the brand 13 fishing. If you’re a regular audience of our website, you know the quality of this brand. They make outstanding rods and reels. This low profile baitcasting reel comes up with everything you need to catch saltwater species. The gear ratio of this reel is customized and ideal for baitcasting.
It comes up with concept zero bearing technology which makes a change in its working process. This reel is a bit different from other traditional reels. The package of this reel is imported. It comes up with a gear ratio of 6.6: 1. The ocean armor 2 saltwater protection technology keeps your reel safe during long fishing sessions. This one is pretty durable too!
The concept of zero bearings is a technology that uses polymer to replace the bearings. It makes your casting smooth and quiet. The maximum drag force of this reel is 22 lb. This drag force is pretty enough. The 6-way centrifugal braking system in this reel is fast and accurate. It’ll never disappoint you. The arrow head line guide and durable side plate make your fishing enjoyable.
What makes this reel stand out
- Unique zero bearing technology
- A great gear ratio of 6.6: 1
- Ocean Armor 2 saltwater protect
- Great centrifugal brake system
- Maximum 22 lbs of drag force
- EVA handle knobs for comfort
07. Piscifun Alijos Size 300 Baitcasting Reel
This low-profile baitcaster comes from Piscifun. It has a massive drag force that makes it one of the best baitcasting reels for saltwater. If your target is a bigger species, you can choose this one undoubtedly. Hopefully, the Alijos size 300 baitcasting reel from Piscifun won’t disappoint you.
The frame of this reel is made with premium-grade aluminum which makes it durable and lightweight. The side plate is durable which helps in dealing with giant fish. The brass gears are for your fishing comfort. The bearing system of this reel is heavy. It features 8 stainless steel bearings. These bearings are double shielded and can fight against corrosion.
The gear ratio of this reel is great too! It comes up with a gear ratio of 8.1: 1. The Piscifun low-profile baitcasting reel has a great magnetic braking system. It allows you to stop your reel instantly with just a press of your thumb. This can prevent backlashes easily too!
What makes this reel stand out
- Massive drag force of 33 lbs
- 8.1: 1 gear ratio
- The great magnetic braking system
- 8 stainless steel ball bearings
- Bearings are double shielded
- Aluminum frame and side plate
08. Abu Garcia Ambassadeur SX Baitcast Fishing Reel
This item is made by another mighty brand Abu Garcia. This brand is also great. They are basically famous for their fishing rods. The rods they make, their design, and their material are good enough to blow everyone’s mind. Besides, they have a few combo packs, which offer a lot of facilities.
However, this Abu Garcia Saltwater Baitcaster has a lot of things to offer you. The most interesting fact is it comes up with 6 different packages for various styles and retrieves. Those are available at the market from different sellers.
This one is one of the best baitcasting reels for saltwater because it has a multi-disk drag system that allows you to perform the smooth and precise cast. The fact is, this reel only comes in red color. No other color is available.
- Extremely lightweight
- Highly durable
- Multi-disk dragging
- Ball bearings with corrosion-resistant feature
- Innovative design and building method
- Only one color is available
09. KastKing Rover Round Baitcasting Reel
If you have come through all those products described above and didn’t find any of those interesting, hold on! We have another top-class baitcasting reel for you. You can give this one a try. You won’t get disappointed.
This one is made by the famous brand Kastking. We have another kastking reel in this reel. However, this one is a reel of classic outlook and best in its type.
Being made with high-quality aluminum, the body and side plate are quite capable of providing high-quality performance. With the brass gears, your fishing is much powerful. For a powerful drag system, this baitcasting reel has a carbon fiber drag system. Besides, it has EVA handle to provide a great grip. The maximum drag force of this Kastking baitcasting reel is 20 lbs.
With this one, your fishing is much smoother because it has 6+1 ball bearings which are rust-resistant. This reel is highly versatile and can perform a lot of techniques. So, if you’re going to choose it, it will be great and make your fishing fun and pleasure.
- Powerful material brass and stainless steel
- Corrosion protection feature
- 6+1 ball bearings
- Carbon fiber drag system
- Highly versatile
- Anti-rust feature
- Has some issue with distance casting
What Is a Baitcasting Reel?
A baitcasting reel is a type of reel which is typically different from other kinds of reels. The reel which is normally placed at the top of the casting rod is called a baitcasting reel. A baitcasting reel’s job is to improve your efficiency of fishing and to lure them with a great performance.
A baitcasting reel ensures effective control which is pretty significant for every angler who intends to fish a lot. With this type of reel, you can achieve the maximum result you want.
Types of Baitcasting Reels
The first step of buying a baitcasting reel is to determine its type. Whenever you decide to get a baitcasting reel, you need to choose the baitcasting reel-type first. Basically, there are two types of baitcasting reels in the market right now. They are round profile reels and low profile reels.
Both types are different from each other in design and fishing style. Besides, line capacity is a big fact here too! Let’s discuss each type.
Round Profile Baitcasting reel
A round profile baitcasting reel is normally gripped from the behind and only, for this reason, a round profile baitcasting reel can offer a higher torque than a low profile baitcasting reel. Anglers who prefer to go after large fish like this type reel much because it offers a lot of torque. Besides, round profile baitcasting reels can hold much more line too!
Low Profile Baitcasting Reel
Low-profile reels are designed to provide you with extreme ease of use. These reels contain an ergonomic design that helps it to be lightweight. That’s why anglers can hold it easily. Besides, a low-profile bait caster is easy to use and it offers more stability than a round profile baitcasting reel. But it won’t hold a heavy line. Besides, this type of reel is not designed for big game fish. You can go for bass.
# Round vs Low-Profile Baitcasting Reels
Round profile reels are tough and heavy. They’re made to give a lot of torque. Besides, they can hold up a long line. This type of profile is not made for ease of use. On the other hand, a low profile baitcasting reel is lightweight and easy to use. It contains an ergonomic design to give you the ease. The composite material it contains is much durable and lasts longer.
Now, which one is suitable for you? Should you go for a round profile baitcasting reel or a low profile baitcasting reel?
If you think, you’ll tackle big game fish and you need heavy casting with great drag, then the best choice is to grab a round profile reel. But you won’t get the ease of use. But, if you choose to go for small fish with little line capacity, a low profile reel can change your regular boring fishing session. Go according to your needs.
What Is The Difference Between Round and Low-Profile Baitcasting Reels
Low profile and round profile baitcasting reels are different from each other in many ways. But the main differences are described below.
- Round profile baitcasting reels are heavy and low profile reels are light.
- Round profile reels provide a lot of torque but low profile reels don’t.
- Round profile reels are tough but low profile reels are not.
- Round profile reels contain long lines. On the other hand, low-profile reels don’t.
- Round profile reels are not precision machined but low profile reels are.
- Round profile reels are hard to use but low profile reels are easy to use.
- Round profile reels are made for big fish and low profile reels are made for small fish.
- Low-profile reels are made for numerous casts and round-profile reels are for long and distance casts.
Left Handed vs Right-Handed Baitcasters
This fact normally looks so awkward because you know what you’re going to grab, You’re left-handed or right-handed. So, your quick answer is obviously I’ll get the right-handed baitcaster as I’m a right-handed person or I’ll get the left-handed reel as I’m a left-handed person. But what we say is “stop!”
When you’re buying a right-handed baitcasting reel, you’re reeling with your right hand. Besides, you’re casting the rod with your right hand too! Don’t you think it’s pretty weird? Well, the whole process goes like this:
You cast with your right hand. Then you tap the liner to slow down the reel and switch the rod to the left hand and you start reeling with your right hand. In this fact, what if you bought a reel that is left-handed? You’d be able to cast with your right hand and reel with your left hand in a short time. So, for baitcasting reels, we always suggest going for the opposite hand reel.
Key Differences Between a Baitcaster and Spinning Reel
The direction of the spool and the placement of them are the main differences between a baitcasting reel and a spinning reel. Spinning reels have perpendicular spool to the rod while a baitcasting reel has a spool which is in line with the fishing rod.
Besides, there’s a huge difference in the reel handle. Baitcasting reels work great with heavy lines and lures and they’re made for a long day at the water. On the other hand, a spinning reel is highly versatile and it contains precision machined construction. But it doesn’t work well with heavy lines and lures.
Features to consider when choosing a saltwater baitcasting reel
Things to Consider if You Want to Buy the Best Baitcasting Reel
- Bearings are the most important things you need to check out while you’re buying a fishing reel. It makes your casting smooth and fast. Besides, it helps to keep your fishing action quiet, accurate, and easy. The number of bearings varies from model to model. Usually, there are 9-11 bearings on a standard level fishing reel.
- The more bearing your fishing reel has the more you get the flexibility of fishing. So, we always suggest buying a baitcasting reel with more bearings. But there is another thing you need to check out while you’re buying. Make sure your bearing is made of steel and it has a corrosion-resistant feature. Bearings made with steel last longer.
- Gear ratio means how fast your reel is or it indicates the speed of the reel. The standard gear ratio is between 5.4:1 to 7.1:1. The gear ratio actually indicates the turn of the spool for every rotation. This is pretty important while you’re buying a fishing reel. We always suggest going with the standard level gear ratio 7-8. This is quite enough for you if your fishing plan is not extreme.
- The drag is almost like power. It helps to deal with the weight of the fish. The more you have drag power the more you’ll be able to fight with a larger fish. Suppose, your maximum drag is 15 lb. and it means the fish you hook up will feel 15 lb of pressure from your fishing rod.
- If your target is small fishes, then you don’t have to worry about the drag. But if you really want to land on some big battle creatures, you need to go for a reel with more maximum drag.
- Understanding the line capacity is pretty simple. It means how much your reel can keep the line. The higher the line capacity your fishing reel has, the more amount of line can be kept into your reel. This feature works great for distance fishing.
- So, if you’re intending to fish in a small pond or river, go for lower line capacity. You can go for higher line capacity if you choose to fish from a long distance.
Reel handle position
- Reel handle position is important for you to choose because you know with which hand you’ll be casting and fighting with tough buddies. Many of the baitcasting reels support both hand casting but some do not. That’s why you need to select a right-handed or left-handed reel position.
- This is one of the most important things to understand while you’re buying a fishing reel. In this case, you can compare your reel with an automotive vehicle. You need an effective brake system to prevent some awkward situations and it ensures smooth controlling.
- There are two types of the brake system. One is the centrifugal brake system and another one is the magnetic brake system. The centrifugal brake system is common and used in traditional reels. This system uses a pin to engage or disengage. Besides, this system is good at avoiding backlash.
- The magnetic brake system is a bit modern but many of the anglers say, this system is not that much good at preventing backlash. But the magnetic brake system is mostly found in expensive ones.
- Our suggestion for a baitcasting reel is the centrifugal brake system or mechanical brake system as they work better and they’re budget-friendly.
- Selecting the reel weight is a complicated issue to deal with because a reel is a critical tool for angling and you should consider its weight if you planning for long-time fishing. Besides, you need to determine your fishing style first.
- Low-profile reels are lighter and they’re mostly suitable for freshwater and inshore fishing. But as you’ll do saltwater fishing, you need to grab a round profile baitcasting which will be a bit heavier than a low profile reel.
- Retrieve rate actually means how quickly you can bring your line back when you need it. It is connected to the gear ratio. The higher your gear ratio is, the faster your reel’s retrieve rate is.
- Reels made with aluminum and carbon composites are the best for fishing. The fact is aluminum frame reels are great but they’re expensive. On the other hand, graphite frame reels are common and are weaker than aluminum reels. When you’re buying a reel and you’re checking frame material, make sure it’s aluminum and your reel is one piece.
- Spinning reels are lighter than baitcasting reels. If you want a light baitcasting reel then you need to go for a reel which is made with high-quality lightweight aluminum and carbon composites. It’ll be strong and durable too!
The spool size actually indicates how much it is suitable for heavy lines and how comfortably it can handle lines. If you’re trying to fish with heavy lines, go for a bigger spool size. Besides, it’s important to note that, controlling a bigger spool is easier than controlling a smaller one. But, if you’re fishing with a tiny line, then you can buy a reel with a smaller spool.
How to Use a Baitcasting Reel
Using a baitcasting reel is not an easy task to deal with. But, if you know the steps, it’s totally fun. Here we will discuss the steps of using a baitcasting reel with a brief description of each of them.
Understand the Braking System
The braking system is the thing that’ll help you most when you’re casting. It slows the rotation of the spool. It actually helps you to throw your bait at the right place you want. If you’re using a reel with the centrifugal brake system, then you need to locate your braking system. But, if you’re using a reel with the magnetic braking system, then you can just adjust the knob.
Adjust the Braking System and Lenght of the Cast
To adjust the braking system, you can engage or disengage the levers. To engage them, push the interior levers towards. If you want to disengage them, push the braking levers away from the center. Disengaging the brake system will allow you to do long casts but it’ll increase the chance of backlashing. If you’re a beginner, we suggest you to heavily engage your braking system.
It’ll prevent backlashes and till then you’ll be able to become an expert.
Adjust and Test Tension
There are adjusting knobs in the reel. You can use those to adjust your reel tension. Hold the rod tip in front of you to test your tension. Then disengage and see if it falls gently or not and without any backlash or not. Adjust it until it falls gently and without any backlash.
Handle the Bait Caster
Holding the bait caster is a bit technical. To grab it properly, you need to wrap your hand around the reel and rod handle. After that, you have to make sure that your thumb is on the spool and spool release button. This means you can properly disengage the spool and handle the baitcaster perfectly.
Release the Line
Hang 8-12 inches of line before you start casting. If you can’t release the proper amount of line, you can’t cast perfectly. You have to measure the line from the bait to the top of the rod.
Release the Spool and Cast
To release the spool you need to press the spool release button and you need to place your thumb on the spool immediately to stop the line from running. This way you can do better.
Don’t only cast one time and keep calm. Keep practicing casting. Surely you will get your desired result one time.
What is a low-profile baitcasting reel?
A reel that provides an ergonomic design and is light in weight is called a low-profile reel. These types of reels are made for short-distance fishing. They’re made with composite materials. Besides, they can hold a little line. But the fact is, a low-profile reel can give you great ease of use. It is terribly easy to control. If you want a reel for numerous short casts, you can grab a low-profile fishing reel undoubtedly.
When should I use a baitcasting reel?
You need to use the baitcasting reel when you’re using a heavy lure. In this fact, a baitcasting reel serves the line with the weight of the lure. If your lure is light then it’s wise to go with your spinning reel.
But there’s another fact. If you want to land on big boys like more than 8 lb. then you need to use the baitcasting reel. This reel is made for heavy fish. This is the point where a spinning reel fails to play well.
Baitcaster Reel Advantages and Disadvantages
A baitcaster has a lot of advantages. Besides, it has a little disadvantage too! A baitcasting reel is specially designed to perform the heavy-duty and long cast. It is designed to hook up giant fish as it can hold heavy lines. Besides, you can get the advantage of long-time fishing with heavy lures. By the by, a baitcasting reel doesn’t require a lot of maintenance. You can just use it simply.
But, the main disadvantage of this is, it’s hard to control for a newbie. But it can provide you with the highest level of casting accuracy if you get used to it. Light lines don’t go with baitcasting reels. So, you need to try heavy always.
How often do I need to oil a saltwater baitcaster?
You can do it one or two times per year.
Saltwater baitcasting reels are terribly durable and they usually don’t fail so fast. However, there are different cleaning solutions available. For bearings, you can use acetone or crab brake cleaner. Besides, you can use simple hot water to scrub old grease.
After that, you can use oil or grease to your reel.
How to choose the right fishing line for a saltwater baitcasting reel?
Before picking up an ordinary line for your baitcasting reel, you need to focus on a few things. If you want big battle fishes, you need a lot of lb tests and the option of length as well. Besides, you need to check your line’s visibility too. Don’t forget to check the memory and friction. By the by, it’s essential to check the knot strength. Always try to buy a sensitive fishing line for your baitcaster.
Best Baitcasting Reel for Saltwater Buying guide
Now, if you’re going to choose the best baitcasting reel which is ideal for saltwater, you may get confused easily because finding out the best one from a thousand is quite difficult. That’s why we’re here to help you. When you’re going to buy a reel, just ask yourself a few questions. Like
You are experienced or not? If not, what do you need?
- Well, wise anglers can manage a lot of things with a few features because they are used to it. They know how to handle everything. But this thing is pretty hard for a newbie. That’s why a beginner needs a reel with every feature.
- If you’re a beginner, go for the top one. If you’re not, you can choose any of these.
What building material is good?
- If you want a reel with high durability, you must choose a reel that contains a high-quality building material. Which one is good? Nowadays, aluminum is cutting down the market well. You can go for brass or stainless steel too.
Which drag system and how many bearings?
- These days, the carbon fiber drag system is popular. It can provide the maximum an angler needs. That’s why it is liked by everyone.
- Bearings basically work for smooth casting. If your reel has 6+ bearings, it’s quite enough. You can go for higher if you want.
Don’t forget to check out the weight and gear ratio. They are important too. Check out the spool and other things. And lastly, the price. Don’t buy a reel of low quality just to save a few bucks. You’ll regret it.
This article was basically on saltwater baitcast reel review. In this article, we’ve shared the top 8 best baitcasting reels for saltwater in the market right now with their pros and cons. To make your purchase more specific, we’ve shared a buying guide too.
If you’re a fishing enthusiast and your fishing source is saltwater, grab one of these reels. All of these are tested and of good quality.
You May Also Like-